At TaxAssist Accountants, we offer a number of accountancy solutions to assist you as a sole proprietor. Although being a sole proprietor is one of the simplest ways to get started in business, there are many processes that need to be followed.
Are you already operating or considering starting a business as a sole proprietor? TaxAssist Accountants can help as we are a 'one-stop-shop' for accountancy services and tax advice for small businesses and self-employed individuals.
The main advantages of setting up as a sole proprietor are:
- Total control – You have total control over the business. Decisions can be made quickly and easily, from accountancy and financial decisions to general business decisions.
- Easy to change to another operating entity. It is relatively easy to change your operating entity from that of a sole proprietor to a limited company.
- Keep the profit – As the owner of the business, all the profit belongs to you.
- Business affairs are private – When you run an unincorporated business your accounts are not made available to the public therefore competitors cannot see what you are earning hence they will know less about how your business works and how it succeeds.
The reasons why sole proprietors are often successful are:
- They can offer a more personal approach – A smaller business can have closer contact with their customers and develop a close rapport in order to give a high level of service and customer care.
- They can be sensitive to the needs of their customers – Since you are closer to the customer that allows you to react more quickly to their needs than a larger business.
- Can cater to the needs of local people – Small local businesses will be closer to the community and can develop good business relationships with their understanding of the area and local knowledge.
The main disadvantages of being a sole proprietor are:
- You are personally liable and accountable for all your businesses debts – Should your business fail you could end up losing your personal assets such as your home, car, etc.
- Can be difficult to raise finance – When you run a small unincorporated business, banks will not lend you large sums and you may find raising finance for the business is very difficult unless you are prepared to change your ownership status.
- Can be difficult to enjoy economies of scale – Smaller business often find that they cannot buy supplies in bulk and do not enjoy the same discounts as larger businesses.
Join us in three easy steps
Get in touch
Arrange a free consultation in person or via video with your local accountant. It’s an informal chat to get to know you and find out more about the help you are looking for.
Chat to an expert
We clearly explain the support available to you and are happy to act as business advisors in order to help you grow your business.
Get a fixed quote
Our fees are fixed and tailored specifically to each individual's needs, so that you only pay for the level of support and services that you require.
Choose the right accounting firm for you
Running your own business can be challenging so why not let TaxAssist Accountants manage your tax, accounting, bookkeeping and payroll needs? If you are not receiving the service you deserve from your accountant, then perhaps it’s time to make the switch?
Local business focus
We specialize in supporting independent businesses. Each TaxAssist Accountant runs their own business, and are passionate about supporting you.
Come and meet us
We enjoy talking to business owners and self-employed professionals who are looking to get the most out of their accountant. You can visit us at any of our 3 locations, meet with us online through video call software, or talk to us by telephone.
Switching is simple
Changing accountants is easier than you might think. There are no tax implications and you can switch at any time in the year and our team will guide you through the process for a smooth transition.
See how TaxAssist Accountants can help you with a free, no obligation consultation